"Christian" Nigeria letter

A form of spam that's been floating around for some years is the so-called Nigeria letters. They are, of course, a kind of con, trying to get greedy people to pay out a medium amount of money in order to get a great amount of money. Usually, the story is that some millions are just sitting in a bank account in Nigeria or some similar country, but the sender of the letter lacks the funds for the necessary stamp tax or bribes or whatever to get at it - please send the money and I'll split the loot with you!
Yeah, right!
Most people on the Internet are aware of this kind of confidence trick, but apparently it sometimes works, since the letters keep coming. And why wouldn't it work? "A fool and his money are soon parted" - and there are plenty of fools around. Since the brighter fools usually aren't all that interested in divulging their folly, relatively few cases are reported to the police...
I recieved a new version of Nigeria letter last week. To me, it was particularly heinous, since it was coated in Christian terminology and reeked of Christian faith - but since the letter was sent with a criminal intent, it was more or less blasphemous!
But judge for yourself. I enclose the (slightly censored) letter; its bad English naturally makes it all the more believable. Also note that the letter does not ask for money; that will surely come later...
From Mrs N.N.
[Street address]
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

ATTN: DEAREST ONE OF GOD

I am the above named person from Kuwait. I am married to Mr N.N., who worked with Kuwait embassy in Ivory Coast for nine years before he died in the year 2004. We were married for eleven years without a child. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days.
Before his death we were both born again Christian. Since his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against. When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of $2. 5 Million (Two Million Five Hundred U.S. Dollars) in the bank here in Abidjan in suspense account.
Presently, the fund is still with the bank. Recently, my Doctor told me that i have serious sickness which is cancer problem. The one that disturbs me most is my stroke sickness. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to a church or individual that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct herein. I want a church that will use this fund for orphanages, widows, propagating the word of God and to endeavour that the house of God is maintained.
The Bible made us to understand that blessed is the hand that giveth. I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians and I don't want my husband's efforts to be used by unbelievers. I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way. This is why I am taking this decision. I am not afraid of death hence i know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that the Lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace.
I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health hence the presence of my husband's relatives is around me always I don't want them to know about this development. With God all things are possible. As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the bank here in Abidjan. I want you and the church to always pray for me because the Lord is my shepherd. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth. Please always be prayerful all through your life.
Contact me on the above e-mail address for more information, any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing another church or individual for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I Stated herein. Hoping to receive your reply.

Remain blessed in the Lord.
Yours in Christ,
Mrs N.N.
Arrggh!
I've been conned like this before, but on a much smaller scale ("Hello, Pastor! Would you pray for me, please - oh, and I could use a fiver!") but this lays it on so thick that I'm afraid someone with a good heart will fall for it! Please don't!

Inga kommentarer: