Sermon competition?

From ENI:
Stellenbosch, South Africa (ENI). A South African student has won top honours in a competition run by a Netherlands newspaper for a sermon, written in Dutch, on doubt. Almatine Leene, a 24-year-old doctoral student in the Faculty of Theology at Stellenbosch University, whose mother tongue is Afrikaans, entered the competition hosted by the Dutch newspaper, Nederlands Dagblad. The other two finalists were Maarten Trimp, aged 22, from Utrecht, and Hanna Blom-Yoo, who is 26, from Amsterdam. The final leg of the competition took place on 12 November in Utrecht's historic Jacobi church, when the finalists preached their sermons. Leene said the Book of Judges from the Bible had inspired her winning sermon.
It's good that people give good sermons, of course - but to compete? Why not a competition to see who is best at celebrating the Lord's Supper, while they're at it?
It all seems a bit strange to me. But maybe it is I that am strange...

1 kommentar:

Charlotte Thérèse sa...

Well, if that would enhance the quality of sermons in general....why not?

I thought you started a competition here, and saw my chance to try to prepare a sermon and see if I'd make a good priest in that sense...

But, no... I will probably never know... ;-(

P.S. Did you see my letter to the Pope?

http://katolskakyrkan.blogspot.com/2008/11/open-letter-to-pope-about-women.html